Top 5 questions asked by customers about LED lighting
1. What is LED lighting?
LED is an acronym for Light Emitting Diode. LED lights use diodes to produce light, instead of gases or heated filaments found in traditional halogen or incandescent lighting. This makes LEDs the most energy efficient and cost saving lighting option available.
2. How efficient are LED bulbs compared to incandescent bulbs?
LED light bulbs use only about 20% as much electricity to produce the same amount of light as incandescent bulbs. However, because led bulbs direct a larger percentage of light where it is needed, in many applications they are as much as ten times as effective as incandescent bulbs, reducing energy use by 90%.
3. How does the brightness of led lighting compare to incandescent lighting?
LED light bulbs are much brighter than incandescent or halogen bulbs of the same wattage, but LED bulbs are not available in very high wattage. So, when replacing incandescent or halogen bulbs with LED bulbs, more LED bulbs are often needed. For example, to replace one 100-watt incandescent bulb you may need two 5-watt or 6-watt LED bulbs. Although you have more bulbs you are still using 85% less electricity.
4. Is LED lighting safe?
Yes, LED downlights emit 90% less heat than halogen bulbs. They reduce fire risk because they operate at a much lower temperature. They do not contain mercury or other harmful gases or emit any harmful UV rays.
5. What are the main benefits to me?
- Low energy consumption – LEDs use minimal electricity, saving you money.
- Longer lifetime – you won’t have to worry about changing your lights every year.
- No UV emissions – safer for you and your family.
- Faster illumination – no delay when turning on.
- Ecologically friendly – contribute to saving our planet.